Here I’m supposed to discuss how to install a Casablanca ceiling fan remote’s receiver in the fan motor housing and how to pair it with the remote. Installing and syncing a remote with the ceiling fan is an easy process. It just takes an hour or less to complete and then you can enjoy using the remote. Please note that the ceiling fans with remote controls from Hunter Fan Company have already installed a receiver in the motor housing of the fan and these two are already paired. So, you don’t have to go through this process. But if you make any changes you’ll face problems. So, if you’ve bought a new ceiling fan with a remote control from the Casablanca series then there’s no need to bother with the installation process.
In case you’ve lost, broken, or damaged the remote and you want to replace the receiver and then pair the two then this post is for you. I’ll propose the process below, keep reading. Some ceiling fans don’t have a remote included but they provide you with an adaptable option meaning that you can buy and pair a universal remote.
Here’s what you’ll get in this blog:
- Remote & Controls in Casablanca collection
- How to install the ceiling fan remote
- How to pair a ceiling fan remote
- How to install a ceiling fan remote cradle
So, let’s start by discussing the remotes and controls that Casablanca provides:
What Remote & Controls Hunter Provides In Casablanca Collection?
At the time I’m writing this article, Hunter is providing three remote control models in the Casablanca series. Below are the specifications and brief description of each along with pictures:
Universal Wall Control – 99195
This is a wall-mounted remote that works best with almost all Casablanca and Hunter ceiling fans. You can simply turn on or off the light with it(from the light button) and change the fan’s 4-speed cycles. It is very affordable and costs only $34.99. The price can vary with time but at the time of writing this is, it is its exact price. It also has a one-year warranty.
Casablanca Handheld Remote – 99198
As the name suggests, this remote is handy. You can take and use it anywhere within the range. The specifications are similar to the above remote, but it costs more. Its current price is $47.99.
Universal Handheld Remote Control and Receiver – 99019
It works fine with all the Casablanca and Hunter ceiling fans. This handheld remote doesn’t have dip switches for pairing. It has a learn button to program it and sync it with the fan. You can also dim and enhance the light’s brightness with it along with changing the 4-speed cycles of the fan. It currently costs $91.99 and has a one-year limited warranty.
These three remotes are the best, most affordable, and even have positive reviews from users. You can buy any of these as a replacement without any worry.
How to Install the Ceiling Fan Remote Receiver?
The receiver is a device that allows the remote to communicate through the transmitter with the fan, allowing you to operate it from anywhere in the room. So, necessarily you’ve to install the receiver that comes with the remote in order to pair the fan and the remote. When you install the receiver you’ll be able to pair and enjoy its operations. But if your fan has a receiver installed already then just pair the remote and fan. To install the receiver, first gather some necessary tools; which include:
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Wire cutters
- Voltage meter
- Wire nuts
- Batteries (if the remote doesn’t have)
Before heading to install or replace the remote’s receiver, set the fan speed on high and turn on the light using your fan’s pull chains. Please leave the pull chains in this position permanently after changing the fan settings to avoid interference with the remote/fan functions.
The easy steps to install the receiver are:
- Turn off the power from the circuit breaker.
- Using a step ladder, remove the canopy screws from the fan canopy using a Philips screwdriver.
- Identify the wires through their colors coming from your fan, control receiver, ceiling bracket, and ceiling fan electrical box.
- You can use a voltage tester to confirm that the fan is getting no power and electricity is not flowing to any wires you’re working with.
- Remove the wire nuts from the wires except the grounding wires(green, yellow, or copper in color).
Use the wire nuts to connect each of the following:
- Connect the three grounded wires from the ceiling, fan, and receiver together.
- Connect the black wire from the ceiling to the black wire from the receiver.
- Connect the blue wire from the fan to the blue wire from the receiver.
- Connect the black wire from the fan to the yellow/green wire (grounded) from the receiver.
- Turn all the wire nuts upward direction and push them into the ceiling electrical box. Be careful to place the ungrounded wires on one side of the box and the grounded wires on the other side.
- Insert the receiver into the opening (make sure vents facing downward) and secure the canopy in place over the receiver using the screws. Check your owner’s manual’s illustration for correct placement.
Install the remote control battery
- Use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the screw that secures the battery door on the remote control.
- Ensure the batteries are correctly inserted. For Coin Cell (CR2032) batteries, place them with the positive (+) side facing up. For AAA batteries, align them according to the positive (+) and negative (-) guides within the battery compartment.
- Reattach the battery door and secure it by tightening the Philips screw.
Note: Older-style remote controls may require different battery types. Refer to the owner’s manual for specific instructions.
So, there the first step is completed. Now you have to pair the receiver you installed on the fan to the remote to make them both able to communicate.
How to Pair/Sync a Ceiling Fan Remote?
Please note that the instructions for synchronizing both devices can vary by fan model. But most fan models use the basic pairing process, so it’s worth trying it. The basic instructions on how to pair a Casablanca fan remote with the ceiling fan are:
- Remove the battery cover on the back of your remote and locate the pair button.
- Use the wall switch or circuit breaker to switch off the fan.
- Leave it off for a minimum of 10 seconds.
- After 10 to 20 seconds, turn on the power back through the wall switch or circuit breaker.
- Press and release the pair button on the remote within three minutes of restarting the fan.
- You will hear a beep that confirms the pairing.
- If you don’t hear any beep, then check the manual for instructions or call Hunter’s customer service.
The remotes from Hunter have a pairing function that uses a ‘toggle’ command. This means that it uses the same function to both pair and unpair the controls. So, whenever you need to reset the remote settings you can use the above proposed method.
How Do You Reprogram a Casablanca Ceiling Fan Remote?
Programming the remote is easy too. You can either use the ‘learn’ button or change the dip switch settings on both the remote and ceiling fan so they’ll be connected. Usually, the new Casablanca fans have a learn button but some have the dip switch option. So, adopt the programming method according to your remote model. The ceiling fan dip switch settings are usually located on the remote receiver installed on the fan’s motor housing and on the remote too under the cells. Match the dip switches on both devices to connect them. The “Learn Button” is located on the back of the remote beside the battery cells.
How to Install a Ceiling Fan Remote Cradle?
I would recommend you Install a remote cradle so you can keep track of your remote when it’s not in use. The remote would be safe and not get lost. The cradle acts as a docking station, so you can access it whenever you need. There are three ways to install it on the wall. I’ll discuss each of them one by one, let’s start:
Method 1: Over-the Wall Switch Plate
You’ll need a few tools in handy depending on what kind of switch you are working with – such as a screwdriver or small drill.
- Start by removing the two screws from the wall switch plate.
- Do not remove the switch plate itself from the wall.
- After removing the screws, position the two holes in the cradle with the holes in the switch plate.
- If your switch is rocker style, then take off any tabs on the cradle so that it will fit accordingly.
- Fasten the cradle to the wall switch plate with those screws, but don’t make them too tight.
- Slide your remote into the cradle for easy access.
Method 2: Using an Adhesive Strip
- Start by removing the cradle from the cradle bracket.
- Do it with care so as not to damage it.
- Peel the lining from adhesive tape and press it against the wall strongly for 30 seconds.
- Then, slide the cradle back into its bracket.
Method 3: Using Screws
Start by drilling two 9/64th width holes with a guide from the cradle bracket.
- Next, hammer some drywall anchors into those pre-drilled holes.
- Fasten the cradle securely to the wall with the screws.
- Slide the cradle in the bracket and remote into the cradle.
So, these are three easy ways to install a cradle on the wall. You can use any of these methods that seem easy to you. If you install a cradle on the wall, you’ll avoid the hassle of finding the remote every time to use it.
Can I Use the Pull Chains Along With the Remote to Control the Ceiling Fan?
This is the most common question people ask about ceiling fans. If your fan has pull chains but also has the adaptable remote option and you added a remote to it. Then after pairing the remote, you should not use the pull chains any longer to control the fan functions. If you use both the remote and the pull chains, it will cause issues with the fan functions, and the fan or any of its parts can possibly stop working. So, you should never attempt to do this.
Adding a remote to your Casablanca fans is always a good idea. It is also easy to install and you can do it by yourself. If you want to do this work by yourself then the instructions I’ve discussed above will help you a lot. Again take extra caution when working with electricity to avoid harm. You must install a remote cradle to avoid it getting lost and paying for a replacement. And don’t ever use the pull chains after pairing the remote with the fan. It will severely affect the fan’s working.